Next STEPS (Post 3)

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for checking back in. We are beginning to wrap up our genius hour projects and it has been quite a journey! Throughout this genius hour project, I have learned the benefits of walking but also new stuff about myself! As mentioned in my previous post, I did some research to find evidence on how walking positively impacts your health. Studies have shown that walking 10,000+ steps a day is beneficial, in which I can speak for this message on behalf of my health and well-being! Since my goal was to walk 12,000 steps for 5 days of the week, that means that I get two days off. In many cases, I did not take two days off. Most of the time I was able to get 12,000 steps for 6/7 days of a week. The days that I took off were nice because it was more of a relaxing day, however I found I felt better on the days I did walk 12,000 steps. This shows that my body reacts and adapted to the constant motion of walking 12,000 steps a day and that when I didn't get the 12,000 it made a noticeable difference.

Mindset Matters
Another thing I have learned throughout my journey so far is that I can achieve anything I set my mind to. Originally, I was kind of nervous about committing to this genius hour idea. I was excited at first but once I had to start walking a lot more I became worried I wouldn't be able to find time to do everything in one day. I also was worried I would be drained of energy every day but it has been the complete opposite. This goes to show that achieving 12,000 steps a day even with a busy life is possible! Although I did make one modification from 7 days a week to 5 days a week, I believe this was a necessary change. It's important to make your goal realistic because if it's not realistic it will be less likely that you achieve it.

Objectives Accomplished
Basically, my only objective was to get 12,000 steps. In which I can proudly say to this point that I have consistently met my objective. I have not cheated once and have strived to make sure I get this goal each week. As my Fitbit is a handy device that records all my stats, I even have the data to prove it! I am also happy with where I stand on the influence that accomplishing my objective has provided.

Where to go from here?
As I mentioned, we are nearing the end of our genius hour projects and I am actually becoming a little sad. I enjoyed doing this project and might even continue this project. It has motivated me to become more active and even consider to continue to keep 12,000 steps apart of my routine! I have found that staying active helps with my health, well-being and has helped divide up my academics. Keeping this apart of my routine is not a bad idea!

Next Steps?
What next? I have quite decided what the next plans are. I am not sure if I am going to continue to work towards the same goal or even make some changes. Anyone have some ideas of what they would like me to do next or change? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear! Stay tuned for my final post of genius hour.








Comments

  1. Your genius hour has really shown me the benefits of getting my steps every day and I think I will try to increase my daily step goal because of it!

    You may want to take a few minutes to go back and make sure your photos are properly cited. They do a really good job of adding to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with your Genius Hour! You have highlighted the benefits of increasing your daily step count. Maybe some next steps could be comparing the benefits you found from walking outside compared to using a treadmill or reaching the step count inside. Is there a difference in how you feel based on the environment you are walking? Great work with your Genius Hour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment